Linn County Animal Rescue has so many horses right now that they are waiving adoption fees for this month. We were already approved to adopt with them but hadn't selected one yet.
I went out Friday to take a look and met 7 year old Abby who is a halter broke POA with a very gentle disposition. She loves attention and being groomed.
I also met Sadie who is a 10 year old POA and Emperor who is an 8 ear old Abab gelding. Since there are no adoption fees at the moment, I figured what we had saved up for that, could go to pay for the upkeep on a second pony. But we were ONLY going to get a pony if our trainer approved of them. He rejected the gelding as being more horse than I am ready to work with, and although Sadie has a bit of a pony attitude he thinks I shouldn't have too much trouble convincing her that won't work. And while Abby is just halter broke, she is very smart, and he thinks it "wouldn't take much for her to be ridable."
We still need to fix the fence that April walked over, so it will be a few days before we can move these two girls in. They are already friends that hang out in the big pasture at the rescue together so no worries about them getting along.
Sadie was previously exposed to goats, and got along with them fine so we are hopefully that there will not be any conflicts between that ponies and goats.
While neither of these girls is very tall, they are stout enough for me to be able to do some light riding and training with them. They are also both "easy keepers" and don't require anything extra in the way of feed.
We have kept enough daughters out of Sunny and that we are running out of breeding options. Sunny has a fantastic pedigree filled with national champions and top 10 milkers. He really increases both production and teat length in his daughters! $350 obo.
And we have Bekah's pony April up for sale. She is a sweet pony, very quick and responsive. In fact she is too responsive for Bekah who is still just learning to keep her seat. She would make a great gaming or cart pony. $500 or reasonable offer.
Curious is going to go back to the rescue when she is healed up - sadly she is just more than I can handle. Plus I've learned that my limited mobility means even getting up on a 14.2 horse is very difficult at best.
So my daughter and I will be getting a mother-daughter pair of modern Tarpan ponies*. These two have had some training but are pretty rusty, however their temperaments are calm and they seem to have a natural affinity for children. And I have found a trainer that will come work with us at a very reasonable rate, to make sure we stay on track.
Since they were both used primarily as brood mares they don't really have names. (They were micro-chipped for ID) They look very much alike and are both about 12.3h. I would love to have some name suggestions that will reflect their Spanish mustang heritage.
Less than two weeks until Mame's due date of April 1st. And Rita who is due on the 5th, is looking like she just might beat Mame' to the punch. Both of them look to be carrying at least triplets and we are praying for a whole lot of doe kids!
Maple, is so long bodied that she only looks pregnant when you look at her from the rear, but we know from the ultrasound that she is carrying at least twins.
In other news, we sold Bekah's horse Emma on Friday. In an arena setting Bekah was fine with Emma's height but it became too intimidating for her out in the open pasture. And since we don't have a riding arena or round-pen something smaller will be better. And the "something smaller" just may end up being a rare modern Tarpan pony. Curious, who is healing up nicely, will probably be going back to the rescue in exchange for a bred Tarpan mare that is a little calmer and tamer. The calmer temperaments, and shorter heights should suit both Bekah and I better. But believe me, we will be researching things pretty closely before making a final decision.
It's been five days since Curious was stitched up. She seems to be healing well and is letting me groom that side and even apply Neosporin around the open drain section but she will not lot me get anywhere close to her if I have Vaseline on my fingers. In fact the minute the cap comes off, even she can't see it she starts backing up and laying her ears back. My theory is she associates the smell of it with being stitched up since we applied it liberally below the wound so that she wouldn't end up with serum scald. She does have a bit of scald now, but I did manage today to get some Neosporin on it which should help it heal and help prevent further problems.
Sunday morning I went out to do chores and discovered Curious had a gash on her shoulder. At first glance I suspected she had been kicked by Emma.
It looked a little deeper than skin deep, but not so bad that it couldn't be managed as an open wound if I could just get it cleaned. However, Curious was less than compliant with letting anyone close to that part of her right shoulder.
So we called Dr. Doerr and had her come out today. Turns out the wound was not caused by a kick, so Bekah's horse Emma is off the hook. It also was deeper than it appeared and went through a couple of muscle layers and a nerve was clipped too.
The vet did a standing sedation, and Curious used me to lean her head on and seemed to take some measure of comfort in my presence. It took about 14 stitches to close up most of the wound, and about an inch at the lowest point was left open for drainage.
Curious and Emma won't be back together until the stitches are out in another 2-3 weeks. A separation they are not going to be at all happy about. And I don't like having to leave Emma without a barn, even if she does have some large evergreens to take shelter under. Plus half the time Curious will stand out in the rain just so she won't be too far away from Emma.
Bekah's horse "Emma" was delivered about noon yesterday and after listening to the two horses talk to each other all afternoon and into the night, this morning we turned Emma out into the pasture with Curious.
A minute or two of squealing and a few half hearted kicks on Emma's part and it was all settled that Emma would lead and Curious would follow. Coming from a place with over 100 horses Curious is used to herd dynamics and was so thrilled to no longer be alone.
Emma (the darker paint) had been in a two horse home, until the owner had to rehome her. She went to a riding stable as a lesson horse, and although she is a good horse for that purpose, she just didn't seem happy in that busy environment.
Emma is technically a pony - measuring at 14.1 hands but she seems to be as big as 14.2 Curious so I will be referring to them both as horses. (For those that don't know a pony is an equine under 14.2 hands, while a horse is anything 14.2 hands and above.)
On the 31st of January my daughter and I went to look at horse for me over in Bend, dear hubby and son stayed home to keep an eye on Tsunami since it was day 145 for her and last year she kidded on day 144.
On the 2nd of February we rented a horse trailer and my two children along with a teenage family friend set off across the mountains to pick up my horse. We made it to mile post 62 and then hit black ice, the guard rail saved us from going over the edge and a state trooper happened upon us before any of the passing drivers could make it into cell phone range to call for help. Blessedly no one was injured, although I can't say the same for my truck or the trailer.
So the truck is in the body shop now, but I did find professional haulers that were coming this way from burns who will deliver my lovely "Cruious" to me this coming Sunday afternoon if all goes well. And their fee is less than the cost to rent a horse trailer. Sure wish I would have known about their trip before my ill fated one.
Meanwhile we are watching and waiting for Tsuanmi to kid, including sleeping out in the barn with her in 20 degree temps. Then I found a pony that I think would make a good mount for Bekah, so on the 7th, with dear hubby and son once again stuck on kidding watch, Bekah and I set out for Central Point. I am happy to say the trip was uneventful and Bekah is totally besotted with her new chocolate palomino Shetland/Welsh pony. And blessedly the seller is willing to hold her until I can find transport or my truck finally makes it out of the body shop.
Which brings us to this morning, day 155 for Tsunami and still NO kids. If she doesn't kid on her own in the next couple of hours she will be going with us to the ultrasound clinic over at OSU vet college.