Sparky Joe will be shown at this show.
The "Herd Jewels Buck & Jr. Doe Show" is going to a three-ring ADGA sanctioned buck show and one ring ADGA sanctioned junior doe show. This show is going back to the “old days” when there used to be buck and junior doe shows hosted together.
The show is going to be on May 12th at the Cottage Grove fairgrounds in Lane County Oregon (20 min south of Eugene). Entries are due by MAY 5th - so if you'd like to join the fun, get your entry sent in ASAP! http://herdjewels.weebly.com/entry-forms.html
A fun and educational weekend with Joan Hicks of Tahoma and Penny Tyler of Tupence. Thanks to everyone that attended the seminar and to Joan and Penny for being willing to travel so far to share their knowledge and passion for the breed.
Ari in particular was happy that they approved his choice of doe kids so he gets to keep his beloved Confetti. He wants to be the one to show her, but I think 6 years old is a little young yet - maybe next year.
In other news I am sold out of kids until Millie kids in mid June. I am intending to keep a doe kid from that breeding, and sell any additional doe kids. This is the same breeding that got me Rita and of course I'm hoping for a repeat of her.
These will be the last kids I will have out of Maple Sunshine. We just measured him and discovered he is now a 1/2" over height. Because he is a a proven buck that puts great udders on his daughters, I think he would make a great buck for someone who is breeding minis.
They are all so cute it's hard to choose...
On April 28th at 2pm Joan Hicks (Tahoma) and Penny Tyler (Tupence) will be returning to Wags Ranch to present a seminar on Kid Care & Selection.
Penny and Joan have over 40 years experience between them raising and showing Nigerian Dwarf dairy goats. Additionally Penny was a judge for 10 year and also helped to write the breed standard.
They will be sharing their knowledge on what to look for when selecting a kid to purchase or retain based on what your goals for your herd are. They will also be available to evaluate a kid or two if you would like to bring them to the seminar. (For the sake of bio-security all kids brought will need to remain contained except when being examined.) They will also share their experience on raising healthy kids.
The cost is $5 per person
Kid evaluation $5 per kid with a limit of two
If you plan to attend an RSVP is greatly appreciated.
My six year old son has fallen for "Confetti" and begged me to keep her instead of Angie. So I have agreed to wait until the end of the month when Joan Hicks and Penny Tyler will be here to do a seminar on "Kid Care and Selection." We will let them determine which doe kid they think will best suit our herd. So eventually either Confetti or Angie will be up for sale, since we only have room to keep just one doe kid from this breeding.
And speaking of Joan & Penny, for those that missed the seminar last year, these ladies have nearly 50 years of experience with Nigerian Dwarf Goats, and Penny helped write the breed standard and was a judge for 10 years. They will be here at Wags Ranch on April 28th at 2pm.
This picture reminds me of something you would see from the 50's of a gang or a group of cowboys or something like that. These five bottle babies were getting some playtime in the sun. All of the ones pictured above have sales pending with the exception of Patriot Blues who is being offered as a buck kid. (He is the mostly white goat on the right side.)
Of the eleven kids born in the past 10 days I am keeping Levana and Angie, and already have sales on most of the rest. As previously noted, Patriot Blues is available as is his sister Cobalt Confetti and then Maple's doe kid Miriam. Patriot & Confetti are bottle babies so could go at any time, but Miriam will be staying until she is at least 10 weeks old.
I have started milking Mame' and Rita although each still has one doe kid with her around the clock. Both of them are doing very well, and Rita is giving me nearly 3lbs a milking. And yes that is a lot - and she hasn't peaked yet! I desperately need to find a one day milk test to get her in soon so she can get that much deserved milking star! Rita's dam Millie, who has been in milk for 293 days as of today, is still giving us 2lbs (quart) of milk a day so drying off this persistent milker in the next couple of weeks isn't going to be easy. She is due the 15th of June, and is once again bred to Sunny - the combo that resulted in Rita. Really looking forward to seeing those kids!
Maple surprised us with TRIPLETS last night! We weren't expecting her to have more than twins and we certainly weren't expecting to have her kid on only day 140!
It was a good thing I was running late doing chores or Maple's labor would have gone undetected and there might have been a less than positive outcome as she did need some assistance giving birth and temps were in the low 30's over night.
Thankfully all three babies are healthy and doing fine this morning. All three of them have blue eyes and the in this picture the lone doe kid is standing in the back.
Seems like it was just a week ago that I was announcing quads being born here on the ranch - oh wait, I was! And yesterday evening Rita also presented us with quads in the same ratio as Mame's quads - two does and two bucks - although this time three of the four have blue eyes.
Rita is being a good mom and all four babies are doing well this morning. We will be evaluating the buck kids to see if they have the confirmation to stay bucks, as they certainly have a dam that is worthy of passing along her udder.
At the end of April we will once again be having Penny Tyler and Joan Hicks come here to present a seminar on Nigerian Dwarf goats and the topic this time will be on kid evaluation. Given that they have nearly 50 years of breed experience between them and that Penny was a judge for 10 years, I will defer to their opinions on whether or not to wether these two boys.
Tomorrow is day 142 for Rita so today we let Mame' and her kids out into "general population" and got the kidding stall ready for the next round. And when my camera died after just taking a few pictures this morning, recharging the battery is right up there at the top of the to-do list along with making sure there are plenty of towels ready for drying off newborn kids.
We will be separating Mame's boys this afternoon and moving them into the house for at least a week so that neither she nor they can hear each other while they are transitioned to the bottle. After about a week they will go out to the extra kidding stall for a week or two before going on to their new home in mid April. Their dark haired sister will be joining them there when she is weaned at 10-12 weeks. I'm still not sure if I am going to retain the white doe kid whom we have named "Lavana" which means white in Hebrew.
Rita still has her ligaments, and while her udder looks HUGE she still isn't shiny tight yet so unless things change drastically over the next 8-9 hours I won't have to sleep in the barn tonight.