Friday was a rollercoaster of a day. First I was woken up to the news that Blush had kidded unexpectedly and the baby appeared to be dead. I threw on barn clothes and raced over to the barn through the two feet of fresh snow, and yes the beautiful doe kid was beyond saving.
Then I noticed Moana was having discharge so I moved Havilah and Velvet along with their kids back into the main barn and and cleaned out the three kidding stalls by myself as my children were headed off to school. While I was cleaning things out Layla marched over to me and very loudly announced she was going to kid and wanted her nice comfy stall back. So I double timed it and got her back where she wanted to be, and moved Moana into the pen next to her.
While I was waiting on Layla to kid, Moana started pushing too - it appeared to be race to see who was going to kid first and then instead of a kid Moana had a vaginal prolapse. I texted our regular vet but she is on maternity leave herself, so I called around to a few other vets and wasn't having any luck getting someone to come out. Then she sucked it back up before I could do anything more than get the straw picked off.
Quads for Layla x Saranghae
Then Layla got serious about kidding - her water broke - and then she decided that kidding against the wall was what she wanted to do. I dragged her away from the wall, and she scooted right back, then she started popping out kids with less than two inches of space one right after the other, I would barely clear noses and the next one was coming. It took 18 minutes from the time her water broke until I was placing the 4th kid by her head.
She gave us two bucks and two does - it appears that there are blue eyes in the bunch but I don't want to call it until I am 100% sure as some of them look a little on the dark side and are likely to turn brown in a week or two.
Moana's vet visit
After the kids were all cleaned up from Layla's kidding I ran back to the house to get something to eat and get some dry clothes on. While I was in the house Moana prolapsed again. Then a meat goat breeder friend of mine that lives in the area let me know she had a vet coming to her place to do a health certificate that afternoon and said maybe we could piggy back onto that appointment. I called and the vet agreed to come see her.
He got here around 4pm and I think this was the first time he had ever worked on a Nigerian Dwarf goat. All he had was sheep sized gear, but with some jerry-rigging we go a prolapse retainer in her. The vet thinks she will kid in 5-7 days, and while sheep can lamb around one of those devices he doesn't think she can, so we have to keep a watch on her around the clock until she is ready to kid, at which time we will need to remove the device.
She isn't thrilled with the device, but so far hasn't managed to dislodge it. This is the first time we have ever had to deal with a prolapse, and I sure hope it is our last. Other than being annoyed about it she is doing well, and Presley is in the kidding stall next to her to keep her company. They are both High Tide daughters and both were bred to Saranghae.
Velvet kidded with a single buck kid this evening. Her dam Havilah was in the stall next to her and talked her through the entire event. Havilah went through the usual first freshener puzzlement - "who is this calling me mama?" But thanks to grandma Havilah's coaching she soon got the hang of being a mama and she is being very attentive. He was up and nursing quickly. He will be available as a pet wether after weaning.
We thought Layla was going to be the first one to kid but Havilah beat her to with twins born later Friday afternoon (2/19/21). Both kids are good sized, but Havilah needed no assistance in pushing them out. The doe kid was up and bouncing! around before she was even an hour old. Neither of them got daddy's blue eyes. The buckling will be available as a wether after weaning and the doe kid may be available. The next 6 does due to kid were all bred to Saranghae and naturally we want to keep one or two of those kids for ourselves.
There extended pedigree can be seen below:
,Back in 2018 we shipped in a buck kid, "Dutch" from Colorado who was sired by Castle Rock Saraband who was a littermate brother to Saranghae out of the amazing Castle Rock Sarafina EEEE 92. His dam was out of Castle Rock Wildfire VEEE 90. Sadly we lost Dutch before he had a chance to bred anyone, in January 2019 on the day we were finally able to move the goats into the barn. (The barn that over 2 months behind schedule.)
I was especially disappointed to lose Sarafina's genetics. A friend mentioned she was bringing in a new buck and I immediately recognized his pedigree. I bought a blue-eyed daughter of Saranghe x Layla last year, but then was blessed to borrow him this fall and to house three does for her too while her barn was undergoing some bear proofing. Glad we don't have to deal with Grizzly in our part of Idaho.
I thought I had posted about three guests we got the day Castle Rock Saranghe left us, but apparently I didn't the info up.
So Grace Ridge, who was kind enough to loan us Saranghe was having some bear problems at their place. So I am leasing three of their does until after kidding and they have had a chance to build a goat fortress.
Last summer we purchased One Summer Night from them - and we absolutely adore her! Her dam 5 Fold Farm EN Half of Night better known as "Layla" is one of the does that is spending the winter and spring with us. And I am looking forward to getting a chance to milk her out after having watched her LA in 2019.
We also took in GraceRidge CG Havilah a lovely doe out of Castle Rock Cyclogensis and her 2020 daughter National Velvet who is out of Pippen Hill CC Golden Touch.
All three of them are bred to Castle Rock Saranghe and are due around the end of February. Kids will be registered as Wags Ranch offspring and of course I will be getting first pick. Which means I need to sell some off some of my herd, which after the hard cuts I made last year is easier said than done.
Kidding Schedule Update
anghe - Havilah, Layla and Velvet are due at the end of Febuary
Saranghe - Blush, Violet, Moana & Presley - beginning = middle of March
Kingfisher - Levana, Moolatte & Rosie - due April 16th
Tide - Suede & Summer - due May 6th
Does that still need to be bred are Zippy, Viennetta. Their not being bred is totally my fault. I have been working extra hours and have been relying to heavily on my 2-legged kids to catch the does in heat. I am going to be locking those two up with Kingfisher starting this evening.
I was debating about breeding Gal and Puzzle as well, but decided since I don't usually breed does until they are at least a year old, I will wait on them. The only reason I bred the two I did is because they are large enough and Tide will be leaving us in just a month or two as he has a pending sale to the Australian Syndicate.
As previously mentioned I have to make some more cuts in the herd and after agonizing over it for weeks. I will be putting Zippy up for sale. She will be available as a possibly bred to Kingfisher doe. So her kids will could be blue-eyed and moon spotted if you like an extra bit of glam. She is a Castle Rock High Tide daughter and did pretty well as a first freshener and has nice teat length.
Wags Ranch HT Zipporah
Sire: Castle Rock High Tide
SS: Caprine Acres HS Cooper
SD: Castle Rock Tsunamie LA 90
Dam: Wags Ranch MB Hadassah
DS: Wags Ranch Midnight Blues
DD: M.R. Hearththrob's Blue Miracle
4/9/20: Triplets 1 doe/2 bucks - Cobalt
Blue-eyed Zipporah, better known as "Zippy" does not like to stand still. Her first freshening udder is easily milked with nice teat length. She will be available for sale as a potentially bred to Kingfisher doe. $400